Dr. Han's main scientific research project evaluates the impact of allergy and asthma on sinusitis from both a NIH funded bench to multinational prospective randomized clinical researchs. He has given many national and international scientific presentations on this topic. His other clinical interest include skull base tumors as well as other skull base pathologies
In recent years, Dr. Han has focused on phenotype and endotype of chronic sinusitis. Information gained from understanding the condition on a broad and cellular level can contribute to the federal approval of several promising new treatments. His research studies and publications have concentrated on systematic literature reviews, physician initiated translational basic science studies, and multi-institutional randomized clinical studies that provide high level of evidence and outcome data, which can subsequently be used to develop clinical guideline health care policy to improve patient care in a very broad level. He served as the primary investigator or co-investigators in these studies.
- Dr. Han is the Chief for the Division of Rhinology and Endoscopic Sinus/Skull Base Surgery at Eastern Virginia Medical School. Dr. Han has completed a fellowship in Rhinology and Allergy at Oregon Health Sciences University. Dr. Han holds a Bachelor of Science degree from University of Washington, a Medical Degree from the Medical College of Pennsylvania, and completed an Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery residency at the Medical College of Wisconsin. He is involved with many national organizations including the American Academy of Otolaryngic Allergy, American Academy of Allergy Asthma and Immunology, American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, American Rhinologic Society, and the Guideline Taskforce.
- ANB020-006: A Phase 2, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel group, multiple dose study designed to assess the efficacy of different doses and dose regimens of etokimab compared to placebo in adults with moderate to severe chronic rhinosinusitis with nasal polyposis (CRSwNP). This study will also assess the safety, tolerability, and pharmacokinetics (PK) of etokimab. The effects of etokimab on subjects with moderate to severe CRSwNP will be monitored over 24 weeks.
- CT-0003: Clinical Evaluation of Safety and Efficacy for the ClariFix™ Cryotherapy Device in Subjects with Chronic Rhinitis (FROST)
- D3252C00001: A Multicenter, Randomized, Double-Blind, Parallel-Group, Placebo-Controlled Phase 3 Efficacy and Safety Study Of Benralizumab in Patients with Severe Nasal Polyposis (OSTRO)
- GB001-2101: A Phase 2a, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multi-center study to evaluate the effect of GB001 (prostraglandin D2) in patients with chronic rhinosinusitis with or without nasal polyposis.
- OPN-FLU-CS-3205: A 24-week prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, parallel group, multicenter study evaluating the efficacy and safety of intranasal administration of 186 μg and 372 μg of fluticasone propionate twice a day using an exhalation delivery device in adult patients with chronic sinusitis.
- OPN-FLU-NP-3103: A 16-Week prospective, randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled, parallel group, multicenter study evaluating the efficacy and safety of fluticasone propionate 186 μg twice a day using a exhalation delivery device in adolescents with chronic rhinosinusitis with bilateral nasal polyps.
- D5180C00007: A multicenter, multinational, randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled, parallel group, Phase 3 Study to evaluate the efficacy and safety of tezepelumab in adults and adolescents with severe uncontrolled asthma.
- GA39855: A prospective, randomized, double blind placebo controlled, parallel group study to determine the efficacy and safety of omalizumab compared with placebo in adult patients with chronic rhinosinusitis with nasal polyps who have had an inadequate response to standard of care treatments.
- Gilead Study: A masked, two center, randomized, placebo-controlled pilot study to evaluate the safety and efficacy of nasal and oral inhalation of aztreonam in subjects with CF and lung infection due to Pseudomonas aeruginosa.
- Resolve I-II: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicenter clinical study designed to assess the efficacy and safety for the use of a steroid eluting sinus implant in an office setting in patient with CRS with nasal polyps.
- SLS-US-05L: A multicenter prospective, single arm, research study to gather safety and effectiveness information when using a silicone tube (lacrimal stent) designed to allow sterile saline irrigation of ethmoid sinuses for patients with moderate to severe chronic sinusitis.
- WA40169: An open label extension study of omalizumab in patients with chronic rhinosinusitis with nasal polyp who were enrolled in the initial efficacy and safety study of omalizumab in patient with chronic rhinosinusitis with nasal polyps.
2022Long-term efficacy and safety of omalizumab for nasal polyposis in an open-label extension study. JOURNAL OF ALLERGY AND CLINICAL IMMUNOLOGY. 149:957-+.
2020Clinical Aspects of Sublingual Immunotherapy Tablets and Drops.. Annals of allergy, asthma & immunology : official publication of the American College of Allergy, Asthma, & Immunology.
2019Topical therapies for management of chronic rhinosinusitis: steroid implants. INTERNATIONAL FORUM OF ALLERGY & RHINOLOGY. S22-S26.
2019Bioabsorbable steroid-releasing implants in the frontal sinus ostia: a pooled analysis. INTERNATIONAL FORUM OF ALLERGY & RHINOLOGY. 9:131-139.
2019Efficacy and Safety of Dupilumab in Patients with Chronic Rhinosinusitis with Nasal Polyps: Results from the Randomized Phase 3 Sinus-24 Study. JOURNAL OF ALLERGY AND CLINICAL IMMUNOLOGY. AB422-AB422.
2019Analysis of Histopathological Endotyping for Chronic Rhinosinusitis Phenotypes Based on Comorbid Asthma and Allergic Rhinitis. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF RHINOLOGY & ALLERGY. 33:507-512.
2019Answers to some common rhinologic questions. INTERNATIONAL FORUM OF ALLERGY & RHINOLOGY. 829-830.
2019Establishing Urinary Leukotriene E-4 as a Diagnostic Biomarker for Chronic Rhinosinusitis with Comorbid Asthma and Atopy. OTOLARYNGOLOGY-HEAD AND NECK SURGERY. 161:764-769.
2019In-office Placement of Mometasone Furoate Sinus Implants for Recurrent Nasal Polyps: A Pooled Analysis. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF RHINOLOGY & ALLERGY. 33:545-558.
2019NAVIGATE I: Randomized, Placebo-Controlled, Double-Blind Trial of the Exhalation Delivery System With Fluticasone for Chronic Rhinosinusitis With Nasal Polyps. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF RHINOLOGY & ALLERGY. 33:69-82.
2018Safety and Effectiveness of a Bioabsorbable Steroid-Releasing Implant for the Paranasal Sinus Ostia A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA OTOLARYNGOLOGY-HEAD & NECK SURGERY. 144:28-35.
2017Ectopic Pituitary Adenomas Presenting as Sphenoid or Clival Lesions: Case Series and Management Recommendations. JOURNAL OF NEUROLOGICAL SURGERY PART B-SKULL BASE. 78:120-124.
2017Time Course of Improvement in Individual Nasal Symptoms During a 2-Week Study of MP-AzeFlu in Patients with Seasonal Allergic Rhinitis (SAR). JOURNAL OF ALLERGY AND CLINICAL IMMUNOLOGY. AB253-AB253.
2017EDITORIAL. INTERNATIONAL FORUM OF ALLERGY & RHINOLOGY. 219-220.
2016Evaluation of the PROPEL (R) mini sinus implant for the treatment of frontal sinus disease. EXPERT OPINION ON DRUG DELIVERY. 13:1789-1793.
2016Randomized controlled trial of a bioabsorbable steroid-releasing implant in the frontal sinus opening. LARYNGOSCOPE. 126:2659-2664.
2016Interleukin-9 and interleukin-17C in chronic rhinosinusitis. INTERNATIONAL FORUM OF ALLERGY & RHINOLOGY. 6:841-847.
2016RESOLVE: bioabsorbable steroid-eluting sinus implants for in-office treatment of recurrent sinonasal polyposis after sinus surgery: 6-month outcomes from a randomized, controlled, blinded study. INTERNATIONAL FORUM OF ALLERGY & RHINOLOGY. 6:573-581.
2016International Consensus Statement on Allergy and Rhinology: Rhinosinusitis. INTERNATIONAL FORUM OF ALLERGY & RHINOLOGY. S22-S209.
2016Implantable Devices/Drugs in the Management of Nasal Polyps. RHINOSINUSITIS WITH NASAL POLYPOSIS. 79:131-137.
2015Clinical Consensus Statement: Septoplasty with or without Inferior Turbinate Reduction. OTOLARYNGOLOGY-HEAD AND NECK SURGERY. 153:708-720.
2015Computed tomography imaging practice patterns in adult chronic rhinosinusitis: survey of the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery and American Rhinologic Society membership. INTERNATIONAL FORUM OF ALLERGY & RHINOLOGY. 5:506-512.
2015Clinical Practice Guideline: Allergic Rhinitis. OTOLARYNGOLOGY-HEAD AND NECK SURGERY. 152:S1-S43.
2015Clinical Practice Guideline: Allergic Rhinitis Executive Summary. OTOLARYNGOLOGY-HEAD AND NECK SURGERY. 152:197-206.
2015Untitled. INTERNATIONAL FORUM OF ALLERGY & RHINOLOGY. 771-772.
2014RESOLVE: a randomized, controlled, blinded study of bioabsorbable steroid-eluting sinus implants for in-office treatment of recurrent sinonasal polyposis. INTERNATIONAL FORUM OF ALLERGY & RHINOLOGY. 4:861-870.
2014Endoscopic and Three-Dimensional Radiographic Imaging of the Pterygopalatine and Infratemporal Fossae: Improving Surgical Landmarks. ANNALS OF OTOLOGY RHINOLOGY AND LARYNGOLOGY. 123:111-116.
2013Sinus implants for chronic rhinosinusitis: technology evaluation. EXPERT OPINION ON DRUG DELIVERY. 10:1735-1748.
2013Subclassification of chronic rhinosinusitis. LARYNGOSCOPE. 123:S15-S27.
2013Bacterial pathogens in the nasopharynx, nasal cavity, and osteomeatal complex during wellness and viral infection. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF RHINOLOGY & ALLERGY. 27:39-42.
2012Clinical Consensus Statement: Appropriate Use of Computed Tomography for Paranasal Sinus Disease. OTOLARYNGOLOGY-HEAD AND NECK SURGERY. 147:808-816.
2012Effect of steroid-releasing sinus implants on postoperative medical and surgical interventions: an efficacy meta-analysis. INTERNATIONAL FORUM OF ALLERGY & RHINOLOGY. 2:271-279.
2012Advance II: A Prospective, Randomized Study Assessing Safety and Efficacy of Bioabsorbable Steroid-Releasing Sinus Implants. OTOLARYNGOLOGY-HEAD AND NECK SURGERY. 146:1004-1011.
2012Immunomodulatory treatments for aspirin exacerbated respiratory disease. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF RHINOLOGY & ALLERGY. 26:134-140.
2011Evidence for Distinct Histologic Profile of Nasal Polyps With and Without Eosinophilia. LARYNGOSCOPE. 121:2262-2267.
2011Bacterial pathogens of acute sinusitis in the osteomeatal complex during common colds and wellness. INTERNATIONAL FORUM OF ALLERGY & RHINOLOGY. 1:356-360.
2011Outcome results of endoscopic vs craniofacial resection of sinonasal malignancies: a systematic review and pooled-data analysis. INTERNATIONAL FORUM OF ALLERGY & RHINOLOGY. 255-261.
2011Microbiology of sinusitis: does allergy or endoscopic sinus surgery affect the microbiologic flora?. CURRENT OPINION IN OTOLARYNGOLOGY & HEAD AND NECK SURGERY. 19:199-203.
2011Nasal Polyps: Pathogenesis and Treatment Implications. OTOLARYNGOLOGIC CLINICS OF NORTH AMERICA. 44:685-+.
2011Systematic Review of Topical Vasoconstrictors in Endoscopic Sinus Surgery. LARYNGOSCOPE. 422-432.
2010Complications and Management of Septoplasty. OTOLARYNGOLOGIC CLINICS OF NORTH AMERICA. 43:897-+.
2010Systemic Therapies in Managing Sinonasal Inflammation. OTOLARYNGOLOGIC CLINICS OF NORTH AMERICA. 43:551-+.
2010Concentrated topical epinephrine is safe in endoscopic sinus surgery. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF RHINOLOGY & ALLERGY. 24:140-142.
2010Management of orbital complications in endoscopic sinus surgery. CURRENT OPINION IN OTOLARYNGOLOGY & HEAD AND NECK SURGERY. 18:32-36.
2010Subpopulation of Lymphocytes for Chronic Sinusitis. JOURNAL OF ALLERGY AND CLINICAL IMMUNOLOGY. AB101-AB101.
2010Level of Complete Dissection of the Ethmoid Sinuses With a Computed Tomographic Image Guidance System. ANNALS OF OTOLOGY RHINOLOGY AND LARYNGOLOGY. 119:17-21.
2010Level of Complete Dissection of the Ethmoid Sinuses With a Computed Tomographic Image Guidance System. ANNALS OF OTOLOGY RHINOLOGY AND LARYNGOLOGY. 119:17-21.
2009Pilot study of budesonide inhalant suspension irrigations for chronic eosinophilic sinusitis. JOURNAL OF ALLERGY AND CLINICAL IMMUNOLOGY. 1352-1354.
2009Going to the next level: Health care's evolving expectations for evidence. OTOLARYNGOLOGY-HEAD AND NECK SURGERY. 551-554.
2009Various causes for frontal sinus obstruction. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF OTOLARYNGOLOGY. 30:80-82.
2008Endoscopic Localization of the Anterior and Posterior Ethmoid Arteries. ANNALS OF OTOLOGY RHINOLOGY AND LARYNGOLOGY. 117:931-935.
2008Analysis of transnasal endoscopic versus transseptal microscopic approach for excision of pituitary tumors. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF RHINOLOGY. 22:649-652.
2008Microarray analysis of distinct gene transcription profiles in non-eosinophilic chronic sinusitis with nasal polyps. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF RHINOLOGY. 22:568-581.
2008Management of retrobulbar hematoma. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF RHINOLOGY. 22:522-524.
2008Introduction to pulmonary function. OTOLARYNGOLOGIC CLINICS OF NORTH AMERICA. 41:387-+.
2008Distinct immune profiles of chronic inflammatory, eosinophilic, aspirin insensitive, and fungal sinusitis. JOURNAL OF ALLERGY AND CLINICAL IMMUNOLOGY. S217-S217.
2008Dual Action of TGF-beta 1 on Nasal-Polyp Derived Fibroblasts. LARYNGOSCOPE. 118:320-324.
2007Asthma and the unified airway. OTOLARYNGOLOGY-HEAD AND NECK SURGERY. S75-S106.
2007Executive summary: Asthma and the unified airway. OTOLARYNGOLOGY-HEAD AND NECK SURGERY. 136:699-706.
2007Initial surgical treatment for chronic frontal sinusitis: A pilot study. ANNALS OF OTOLOGY RHINOLOGY AND LARYNGOLOGY. 116:286-289.
- Chief of the Division of Rhinology & Endoscopic Sinus and Skull Base Surgery and the Division of Allergy
- Joseph K. Han, MD, FARS, FAAAAI, FAAOA
recognition and awards
2020- Top Doctors
2020- Virginia Top Doctor
2019- Who's Who in America
2019- Featured Doctor for Hampton Roads Magazine
2019- America's Most Honored Professionals
2019- Top Doctors
2018- Top Doctors
2018- America's Most Honored Professionals
2017- American Board of Otolaryngology
2017- Development of MOC Allergic Rhinitis
2017- America's Most Honored Professionals
2017- Top Doctors 5 years
2017- Top Doctors and Dentist
2017- Best Doctors of America
2016- Top Doctor Global Impact
2016- Honored Professional
2016- American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Leadership Forum
2016- Health Care Heroes
2016- Best Doctors of America
2015- American Rhinologic Society Clinical Research Award
2015- Top Doctors by US News & Report
2015- Interview by Fox News on Disturbance in Smell and Taste
2015- Top Doctors
2015- Best Doctors of America
2015- Interview by Dr. Oz Magazine on Rhinitis Medicamentosa
2014- Top Doctors
2014- Best Doctors of America
2014- Top Doctors by US News & Report
2013- Patients Choice Award
2013- Top Doctors by US News & Report
2013- Top Doctors
2013- Best Doctors of America
2012- Top Doctors
2012- Top Doctors by US News & Report
2012- Best Doctors of America
2011- American Academy of Otolaryngology & Head and Neck Surgery
2011- Leadership Externship
2011- Best Doctors of America
2011- Top Doctors by US News & Report
2011- Hampton Roads Super Doctors
2011- Top Doctors
2010- Best Doctors of America
2010- Most Compassionate Doctors
2010- Teacher of Year Award
2010- Best Doctors of Hampton Roads
2010- American Academy of Otolaryngology & Head and Neck Surgery Honor Award
2010- Who's Who
2010- American Board of Otolaryngology
2010- Development of MOC Nasal Drainage
2009- American Board of Otolaryngology
2009- Development of MOC Pediatric Cough
2009- Best Doctors of America
2009- Most Compassionate Doctors
2009- University of Virginia School of Nursing School of Nurse Practitioner Preceptor
2009- Who's Who
2008- Top 40 under Forty
2008- Who's Who in Medicine, Research, and Healthcare
2008- Best Doctors of America
2007- Best Doctors of America
2004-2006- University of Virginia Internship Program Mentor
2004-2005- AAO-HNS Foundation Clinical Scholar Program
2004-2005- Excellence in Diversity Fellowship
2004- Who's Who in Medical Sciences Education
2003- Resident Teaching Award
2002- International Scientist of the Year
2001- American's Registry of Outstanding Professionals
2001- Who's Who
1997- Department of Health and Human Services, Secretary's Award Semi-finalist
1996- CIBA-GEIGY Community Service Award 1996
1992- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Medical Program